Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mothers Day Talk

Mothers Day Sacrament Talk
Lake Rotoroa Ward
5/8/16
(I just wrote bullet points for my real talk so I will try to type out as much as I remember saying!)

Hello brothers and Sisters, I feel so grateful to be here today. I am Sister DeLoach, and I am from Utah. I am new to this ward so some of you know me, and some of you don’t. I do have to say to Bishop that is was very cruel of you to make the new missionary get up here on Mother’s Day and talk about her mom. I do however feel very grateful that I get to talk about her, because I love her. 
When I think of how my mom helped me get on my mission, three words come to mind. These three words are: example, drive and dedication
My Mom is the best example I know. She was never a missionary with a name tag, but that doesn’t mean she wasn’t a missionary. My mom is the best missionary I know. She at a young age led by example as she helped convert my dad to the gospel. My parents fell in love the American way of the cheerleader and football player fantasy. My mom cheered for Utah State and my Dad played football there and they were offered the opportunity to go to Japan to teach the Japanese football and cheer. Not knowing each other before and knowing it was quite a long plane ride, my Dad saw this cute small girl and asked her to sit by him. I know my mom led by example, because somehow on this plane ride she managed to bring up the gospel and she managed to tell my Dad about her brother who was serving his mission at the time. My Dad got to meet my uncle when they got off the plane, and was later baptized by that Uncle. I find it amazing that none of this would have happened if my mom hadn’t led by her great example and opened her mouth and spoke about the truths of which she knew. My mom is the best example I know. Many times growing up we had people living with us or around our family that were homeless, had no family, foreign students, and anyone else you could think of. I learned from my mom to never judge anyone. I learned that every person is a child of God and they are to be respected and loved. I love my mom for her perfect example.
My mom has the most amazing drive out of anyone I know. Many people don’t know, but my mom is a 9-time World Marital Arts Champion, and you wouldn’t want to meet her on a back alley. That’s all I’m saying. She has such a drive that she recently created an exercise program which enables those overweight or those who maybe can’t afford to exercise to get fit to find self-confidence and to overcome their challenges. (I promoted 130 Strong for you mom ;) HAHA). She is a fitness fanatic, but I love that she uses it to better the lives of everyone else. She is truly the most amazing woman that I know. The thing I think is most important that my mom has taught me is this story she told me of one of her dear friends. One of her dear friends was innocently placed into prison. While in prison she pleaded with her Heavenly Father that he could help her, he could heal her, and that he could know she was innocent. She prayed so hard to just fall asleep. As she looked around this empty jail cell she saw vulgar words and nasty cuss words, as she lay in bed and looked above her head she saw the words, JESUS LOVES YOU. She then fell asleep instantly. (Insert me crying here). I love that my mom has taught me from a young age that Jesus Christ loves me. This is the message I want you all to know, that Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world knows YOU, he LOVES you, and he is waiting for you. That is the most important thing I could have ever learned from her. 
My mom has the strongest testimony. This one particular story pops up in my mom of the first time I entered the temple. My mom recently had a lady she knew treat her unfair, and speak badly of her and I saw the way that it hurt and confused my mom. As I peeked over to see who’s names my mom was writing on her prayer list in the temple, the first name I saw was that ladies. I instantly and from that moment have had a new found respect for my mom. Her testimony completely blew me away that day and I know that is because she is the perfect mom for me. 
As I read in the Ensign lately I came across a story of a recently divorced woman who was talking to her friend and told her that she felt like she was doing all that she could, she was going to the temple, wearing her garments, teaching her kids righteous things, and attending church, but still felt like her Heavenly Father wasn’t proud of her. Her friend said, “I just wanted to scream at my friend, YOU ARE DOING IT! YOU ARE DOING ALL THAT HEAVENLY FATHER WANTS AND HOPES YOU WILL DO.”
Brothers and Sisters, this is the message I want to leave with you. You are doing it! You are doing all that your Heavenly Father wants and hopes you will do, and Jesus Christ loves you. I feel so fortunate and eternally grateful for the mother I am blessed with. Even though I can’t physically see her for the next 16 months, I know she is with me because I carry her example, drive and testimony with me wherever I go. I am the luckiest girl in the whole world.
I would just like to bare my testimony of how grateful I am to be here. I am in New Zealand, I am seriously so lucky. I love this ward and thank you so much for welcoming me with open arms, I feel so blessed this is my first area, I don’t want to leave Lake Ward. I’m going to put word in with President that I want to stay here for all 18 months, so I hope you don’t get sick of me!! I am eternally grateful for my mom, and for her example that she sets for me even miles and miles away. I know this church is true. I testify that Jesus Christ loves and knows you. I am so grateful to be here with Sister Chudleigh, we love each and every one of you so much. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 


I LOVE YOU MOMMA!! I meant every single word. I hope you have the most amazing Mother’s Day. I can’t express how grateful I am for you and the example you have set for me. It’s a hard day being away from you, but it’s the truth when they say that distance makes the heart grow fonder. I love you so much, and I am grateful I get to share your stories and example with these choice people here in New Zealand. I can’t wait till you can meet them all someday! They are taking such great care of me, and I do love it here. Nothing is quite like being home, but this place is starting to become my second home. You will always hold the biggest place in my heart Mom. I am so grateful for you in my life. I hope your Mother’s Day was amazing!!! Thank you for your selfless act of choosing to be my Mom!! “One cannot remember God and forget Mother, and one cannot remember Mother and forget God. They are one in a divine purpose.” I LOVE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment