Sunday, May 1, 2016

Hello From NZ!!! 4-24-16

Hello from NZ!!! I made it on the LONG as plane ride. It was SOO long HAHA but it was really awesome. I wasn't able to sleep as much as I wanted to, so I paid for that the next day when I got here!! I felt kinda sad on the plane ride here, knowing I wouldn't see you guys for 18 months, and as I got off the plane in New Zealand a Maori woman walked up to me, she had tattoo's and piercings and gave me a kiss on the cheek and said welcome to NZ Sweetie. It was such a tender mercy and I instantly felt loved. One couple came up to me they're not LDS either, but they asked where I was going and they said "We live in North Aukland, we don't have a big house and we don't have much money.. But, if you ever need a place to stay or some food let us give you our email and number and you can reach out to us" PEOPLE HERE ARE SO KIND. There have been SO many instances of this. It's unreal. We got picked up from the Airport by the AP's they're super awesome. We then went to the NZ MTC and picked up everyone else. Needless to say, I am the only white person in my intake. They were Samoan, Kiribati, Tongan, and Cambodian. There were 9 Elders and me and one other sister. This Sister is Cambodian, and she could hardly speak English. She told me, "I prayed so hard last night I would have an American Companion, NZ and Aussies are too hard for me to understand" I felt so happy to be an answer to her prayers. She didn't have hardly anything, I gave her a few skirts and even my small carry on luggage, I had too much luggage anyways and she only had one thing that was TORN and so old. I felt so bad, sorry mom.. I had to.. I know that luggage was knew but she really needed it. The first night here we had dinner and testimony meeting at Presidents house. IT IS GORGEOUS!!! We had dinner catered and I felt so blessed as I watched all these people look at this as though it was the nicest most fanciest meal they had ever had. I felt so lucky to have the circumstances I had. They ate so slow and Sister Meas (cambodian girl) Couldn't believe we got a dessert with our meal too. SOOO I got my comp!! Her name is Sister Chudleigh, She is from Lindon, UT!!! She is AMAZING. Everyone that saw I got her as a companion told me I am the luckiest missionary to get her as a trainer. She is famous in this mission I swear. We are serving in the Lake Rotoroa Ward in the Glenview Stake. We live in this beat down apartment but love it there. I actually get eaten by fleas every night so thats pretty wonderful HAHA. I'm also at the Visitors Center half the day, I love it here. It's so peaceful. The Maori and NZ are so faithful, they as youth go to the temple every Saturday, they bring their WHOLE family though and they just come chill with us at the VC if they don't go in the temple. 

Well this is the most important part of the whole email. Sister Chudleigh and I white washed this area which means were both new to it. She is going home in 2 months, so she's been out a while, but President felt prompted for us to take over here. We were looking through records other missionaries left and as we went through we saw they had a progressive investigator named Alan. We kept reading on him and then moved on to keep reading other peoples profiles, as we were doing this our phone rang, and it was Alan!!!! He said Sisters can you come over at 1:30 today? Of course we said yes!! We went over and Alan is 6'6'' BIG ole scary looking friendly looking giant. He has been taking the missionary discussions for 4 months, he is having a hard time to quit smoking, he's had 3 or 4 baptismal dates. As we talked with him we instantly clicked we felt so comfortable and so did he. We read the Book of Mormon with him and it was so special to hear him "WOW I just can't get enough of this Gospel, WOW WOW WOW. I love Jesus" HAHA as we were reading with him in Alma 36, which is where he is at in his reading I got the impression to invite him to baptism again.. I followed it and asked him and he said YES!!!!!! We set him for May 14, and get confirmed May 15 which is the day Joseph Smith received the priesthood!!  I know he has had so many dates before but something is different this time, he gave up smoking he even ended up in the hospital that night because his body went into shock, but he said HE will NOT smoke!!!! I am so proud of him, he even gave us his cigarettes!! I think it was a blessing for him to get a fresh start with a fresh start of missionaries. He is struggling, this addiction is real, please please pray for him. We were sitting at church and he said he would be there but we didn't see him yet, and all of a sudden he walked in dressed sooo cute in his church clothes he is so funny hahah and I couldn't help but weep at the sight of this man trying SO hard to come unto Jesus Christ. As he walked in we were singing the hymn I stand all amazed and I couldn't have felt more grateful. We talked to Alan about his life and turns out he has 2 sons, he's been in prison 2 times, he was in a mental hospital for schizophrenia, was in 2 gangs, and NOW finally knows who he truly is and is excited for nothing more than to be cleansed from his sins. He is unreal. You would love him!!!! He loves you all and has seen pictures and just goes WOW WOW WOW gorgeous family mate!! HAHAH I love him so much. 

So I guess breastfeeding is okay here? So many people just free the nipple and let their child eat wherever they are. Most awkward when I was giving someone a tour in the VC and I saw her boobs the whole time HAHAH. I start driving next week!! Pray for me haha it's super crazy on the other side of the road!! Well, this is all that has happened, oh one more thing!! One lady was supposed to feed us last night and she forgot, so at 9 o'clock at night when she remembered she showed up at our house with HEAPS of food. She has two LARGE grocery bags full of food and home cooked pans of food. People here sure love their missionaries... Plus they think they get double the blessings when they feed us, so that's why they feed us!! HAHAHA 
Well family, I love it here! Nothing to worry about, the gospel is so true, it makes me so so happy! I love you all so much!!!!! Jesus Loves you!!! 
Love Sister DeLoach!!!

Sister Rudd made up these words for our mission, the tune is to Hark All Ye Nations, I will sing for you on mothers day, the words are so great :)

Hark, Aotearoa! Tena Koe
Kiwi our prophets hastened our day
Elders and Sisters Shouting Aloud
Land of the Long white cloud

chorus: 
KIA KAHA! SAVING SOULS TODAY
HAE-RE MAI E HOA HE'S THE WAY
INVITING ALL AROHANUI, 
AND KIA NGAWARI

Preach my gospel, Doctrine of Christ
Faith and Repentance, Come unto Christ 
Water and Fire our hearts will mend
Enduring to the End

CHORUS

Kia Ora, Maori, and Pakeha
Tumuaki teaches what Joseph saw, 
Respect, Obedience Discipline,
Talking with everyone!!! 

The words mean, be strong, be humble and Pakeha means white person HAHAHAH











No comments:

Post a Comment