Monday, February 20, 2017

Hello Fam 2-19-17

Rainy RAINY week here in NZ! It was a great week though. Something I always ask return missionaries when I see them, is what lesson they still apply today that they learned on their missions, and I had one ask it back to me, they asked what are a few of the greatest lessons I have learned on my mission, and so I thought I would share a few with you today!!! 

One lesson I have learned is the lesson of perspective. I think that we can grow so one sided our whole lives, for instance, I feel as though I only grew up thinking that driving on that side of the road was correct, or that only republicans were normal people, but I think I have learned that if you just listen to someone, you can see their perspective, it doesn't mean you have to change your views, but it's nice to see the world as it really is sometimes, and I am grateful I have been able to see more perspectives on my mission, it's made me more humble I believe, and for sure more kind.
Another lesson I have learned is that EVERYONE is going through SOMETHING! No matter who you look at, they are struggling with something. I have learned that we are all a bunch of ducks, and when you see ducks sitting on water all you see is this peaceful little animal with a beautiful view, but if you could look under the water you would see that the duck is kicking very hard to stay afloat. Another lesson I have learned is to love everyone. I hope and pray the rest of my life I can see people how I see them now. I feel as though it's such a blessing to see people this way. I have strived my whole life to see people this way, but I now fully can. I truly believe that everyone is SO loved, I know that we are all children of God, and I love seeing people who need help either physically, spiritually, or mentally, because I KNOW they can receive that help. 

This week it seemed like everyone we met was struggling with something. We went to our Less Actives house, and she has been struggling with depression, and then we went to our part member families and she too has been struggling, this alone caused me to study in 2 Nephi 2, which talks about opposition. I learned this week something that is so obvious, but really stood out to me, which is "Unless we had more than one choice we couldn't choose." I truly understood opposition in that moment. We HAVE to have more than one choice in all things. I love too how if we didn't have any bad things we would NEVER have any good things. This morning I studied Moroni 7 which is about having charity, but it's also about evil and good works. Something that stood out to me was that evil things cannot give good gifts, and good things cannot give evil gifts. I know that as both evil and good are required in our day to day lives, that we must see we can't have one without the other. I know that life is hard, I also know it's hard to have good and bad things in life, it would be so much easier to just have the good, but I have really learned this week that we would never appreciate the good if we didn't have the bad. This is why I think my mission has helped me so much, I think that I never appreciated things (my family) as much as I should have, but being away has truly touched my heart on the small and simple things I need to be grateful for. 

This week Sister Kafoa and I set a goal to give a service every single day, it was incredible how when we prayed about it instantly we were able to give. One that stood out to me, and it's become my new favorite hobby is giving away umbrellas. I encourage you all to keep an extra in your car, and when it's raining to see someone on the side of the road, and give it to them, you have NO idea the way their face lights up. Anywho we were in like a tropical storm the other day, and we saw our Less Active with her two little girls walking home, so we pulled over the car, sprinted to them, gave them our umbrellas and coats. We ran back to the car, and saw a man in a wheel chair so we grabbed another umbrella and walked him home, getting like 5 steps away from our car we saw ANOTHER man in a wheel chair, so we walked him home also, we were SOAKED, yet it was so worth it. We got to meet people, who were struggling, yet sons and daughters of God. We got to give charity-which to me is doing something for someone who can do nothing for you in return. We then got back to the car and we were going to wish this single lady in our ward a happy birthday and went to her house and she wasn't home, so we got back in our warm car, and said a prayer of where the Lord would like us to be at this time specifically, and immediately of opening our eyes we saw this woman down the road struggling, walking bare foot in the pouring rain, and I mean pouring, the fastest windshield wiper was slow, and so we decided to run to her and help her, when we got there we realized it was the member whom we were going to see. We were able to carry her home, and it was such an incredible day. We froze to death almost, but the lady who we originally let borrow our coats and umbrellas for her kids, when we went to pick them up made us a warm milo, gave us her warm clothes, and it was incredible to see that the Lord really is in charge, he knew that is what we needed to do that day! 

Really looking forward to Elder Renlund coming this week, this is supposed to be top secret, but between us, we found out he is coming to the Visitors Centre and would like a tour by 2 companionships, AHHH should be crazy. Really looking forward to it. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!
This week Sister Kafoa gifted me with a Kiekie which is a Tongan traditional belt. This is the belt her great grandmother hand weaved, and when she died, left it for her. Sister Kafoa said her whole life she knew she would give it to someone who has changed her, and I FEEL so privileged that she gave it to me, it's gorgeous!!! I love her!

Arohanui,
Sister DeLoach 














No comments:

Post a Comment